Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PGCE is too hard!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PGCE is too hard!

    I am really struggling with my PGCE and I really need some advice. I enjoy actually being in the classroom but I’m struggling with balancing the workload, lesson planning, marking, admin and university essays. Most days I work late in to the evening and don’t get enough rest and it is really getting me down. I don’t want to give up but some days it gets really tough, especially as my timetable is growing and I am beginning to fall behind. I’ve wanted to be a teacher since I was young and I don’t want to give up on my dream job. I could really do with some advice.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Kevin Cook View Post
    I am really struggling with my PGCE and I really need some advice. I enjoy actually being in the classroom but I’m struggling with balancing the workload, lesson planning, marking, admin and university essays. Most days I work late in to the evening and don’t get enough rest and it is really getting me down. I don’t want to give up but some days it gets really tough, especially as my timetable is growing and I am beginning to fall behind. I’ve wanted to be a teacher since I was young and I don’t want to give up on my dream job. I could really do with some advice.
    I am sorry to hear that you are struggling. Teacher training is tough and not everyone is cut out for it. It’s good that you are persevering but you shouldn’t suffer in silence. You need to speak to your mentor urgently and explain how you are feeling. They can help you by easing your timetable for example. Don’t give up!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Amanda Brown View Post

      I am sorry to hear that you are struggling. Teacher training is tough and not everyone is cut out for it. It’s good that you are persevering but you shouldn’t suffer in silence. You need to speak to your mentor urgently and explain how you are feeling. They can help you by easing your timetable for example. Don’t give up!
      Thanks for the reply! I am not keen on talking to my mentor, unfortunately I feel like she is quite dismissive of my problems.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Kevin Cook View Post

        Thanks for the reply! I am not keen on talking to my mentor, unfortunately I feel like she is quite dismissive of my problems.
        If you don’t want to speak to your mentor, then maybe you should speak to your university supervisor, they can help you with dealing with the workload or even offer you extensions on admin and essays. Good luck!

        Comment


        • #5
          Amanda Brown I know this was a while ago now but I have since spoken to my university supervisor and she was a bit more understanding. I've been able to cut down my timetable and will ease up to more classes slowly. I took some time off ill with stress but I'm getting up and keeping at it. I'm still finding it very tough and have no time to spend with my girlfriend or family. When I speak to others, they seem to be doing okay. Don't know what I'm doing wrong.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Kevin Cook View Post
            Amanda Brown I know this was a while ago now but I have since spoken to my university supervisor and she was a bit more understanding. I've been able to cut down my timetable and will ease up to more classes slowly. I took some time off ill with stress but I'm getting up and keeping at it. I'm still finding it very tough and have no time to spend with my girlfriend or family. When I speak to others, they seem to be doing okay. Don't know what I'm doing wrong.
            Sending you big hugs! Teacher training is hard and you shouldn't feel guilty for needing time off- sometimes you need a rest. I'm so glad you've got back on your feet and are persevering but if it does get too much, you should never push yourself above your limits. I'm an NQT and I felt the same during ITT, you are stronger than you think

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Kevin Cook View Post
              Amanda Brown I know this was a while ago now but I have since spoken to my university supervisor and she was a bit more understanding. I've been able to cut down my timetable and will ease up to more classes slowly. I took some time off ill with stress but I'm getting up and keeping at it. I'm still finding it very tough and have no time to spend with my girlfriend or family. When I speak to others, they seem to be doing okay. Don't know what I'm doing wrong.
              You are definitely not alone and even when other people seem to be coping well they will have their own struggles too, after all we all put our best selves on show because we all want to look like we're doing well, even if we're not. Perhaps you should set yourself a certain time that you must spend with your girlfriend or family, whether it's no working on friday evenings or sunday afternoons? Sometimes the work just has to wait in favour of your own time.

              Comment


              • #8
                Amanda Brown Marion Lee Thanks so much for the support and guidance. I will try and set a specific time aside for not working, hopefully I'll be able to keep it up!

                Comment

                Working...
                X